Once you have started data collection, you will have forms that are getting filled with information from respective respondents. These forms, once completed for a specific respondent, is saved on the mobile device and marked as finalised. This is the default behaviour of ODK Collect after a form for a specific respondent has been finished. When forms have been marked as finalised, they are now ready to be submitted to an ODK-specific data aggregator. There are three types of ODK data aggregators:
- Cloud- or remote-based data aggregator such as ODK Aggregate that is implemented on a remote server (such as Google App Engine) or Formhub implemented on a server hosted by Amazon Web Services or companies providing web-based ODK data aggregation services such as ONA, KoboToolbox or SurveyCTO;
- Local server implementations of ODK Aggregate, Formhub or ONA; or,
- Offline ODK data aggregation using ODK Briefcase.
This tutorial focuses on the second type – a local server aggregator. Specifically, this tutorial will show how to submit finalised forms to a locally-installed Formhub server. This tutorial assumes that:
- You already have installed Formhub locally using virtual machines. If you haven’t, see this guide that shows the step-by-step installation;
- You have successfully initiated the locally-deployed Formhub server. For a guide on how to initiate the local Formhub server, see this guide;
- You have uploaded the forms that you will be using for data collection onto the local Formhub server along with any requisite media files. For a guide on how to upload forms and media files onto Formhub local server, see this guide;
- You have configured the platform settings of ODK Collect on your mobile device/s to match that of the locally-deployed Formhub server. For a guide on how to configure ODK Collect platform settings for a local server, see this guide;
- You have downloaded the required forms from the local Formhub server onto ODK Collect on your mobile device/s. For a guide on how to download the required forms from the local Formhub server onto ODK Collect, see this guide;
- You have collected data using the form on ODK Collect which corresponds with the form on your local Formhub server; and,
- You have a local area network connection between the computer that holds the local installation of the Formhub server and your mobile device/s with ODK Collect.
You are now ready to submit finalised forms to the local Formhub server.
1. Open ODK Collect
Tap on the ODK Collect app. If ODK Collect has finalised forms ready for submission, the following screen will show:
The button for ‘Send Finalized Form’ will show a number beside it in parenthesis. This number indicates the number of finalised forms that are saved in ODK Collect. These forms are those that are already ready to submit.
In the example above, the number 3 is shown in parenthesis beside ‘Send Finalized Form’. This means that this ODK Collect has 3 finalised forms ready to be submitted.
2. Tap on ‘Send Finalized Form’ button
Once you tap on the ‘Send Finalized Form’ button, the following screen will be shown:
A list of the finalised forms that are saved in ODK Collect will be seen. In this example, there are 3 forms listed with the instance names of each form indicated. The instance name identifies each form uniquely.
The list of finalised forms allows you to select which finalised forms you want to submit to the local Formhub server. This can be done by tapping onto the square buttons on the right-hand side of the finalised forms you want to submit (1). For most cases, you would want to selectd all finalised forms for sending to the local Formhub server. So, you either tap on each square button or you tap on the ‘Toggle All’ button on the bottomleft corner of the screen (2).
3. Select forms to submit
In the example below, the ‘Toggle All’ button was tapped. You will now see that all the square buttons on the right hand side of each forms have been ticked (1). You will also see that the bottomright corner button labeled ‘Send Selected’ has been activated (2).
4. Tap on ‘Send Selected’
Once you tap on ‘Send Selected’, an indicator prompt showing that the forms you have selected are being sent will be visible on the screen as shown in the example below.
When the sending of the finalised forms to the server has been completed and is successful, you will see the following on your screen.
This prompt shows the results of the sending of the forms and indicates which forms have been successfully sent.
5. Check local Formhub server
Now, it would be good to check whether your local Formhub server has indeed received the forms that have been submitted.
If you haven’t done so yet, login to the portal for the local Formhub server by typing in the IP address of the local Formhub server (for a guide on how to know the local IP address, see this guide) and then inputting the username and password required. These details should have been provided to you by your IT administrator or staff who setup the local Formhub server.
Below is the portal for the local Formhub server that shows up when you use the local Formhub server described in this guide. The details to login to this portal are as follows:
IP address: http://192.168.1.93/validmeausures/
To check whether the forms you have just submitted have indeed been sent to the server, scroll down the portal to view the section that says ‘Published Forms’.
You will see a table that shows the name of the form in the first column (1), the number of submissions in the second column (2), the ‘Enter Data’ column (3), the ‘View’ column (4), the ‘Download’ column (5), and the ‘Last Submission’ column (6).
To just simply check that data has been received by the local Formhub server, we can use the ‘View’ function of the local Formhub portal.
In the ‘View’ column, you will notice three icons: (1) map pin; (2) camera; and, (3) list.
The map pin icon is for viewing the map that shows where data has been collected.
The camera icon is for viewing photos or images captured during data collection. This includes signatures as they are image files.
The list icon is for viewing submitted data.
For checking purposes, you will only need to view the submitted data so the list icon is what you will need.
Click on the list icon.
Once you have clicked on the list icon, a tabular view of your data will be shown on your screen. You will now be able to check if all the finalised forms you have sent have been received by the local Formhub server.